Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    for some reason i forsee problems with the hardcore neon setups on an L body

I tried to upload a tiny little crappy movie of my truck in action when i took this pic. said the file was invalid.. Movie file (mpeg) 119 KB (122,574 bytes)

ANy difference in caliper size and or rotor diametor vs lets say a minivan setup?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by PentastarTurboLess; 11-17-2005 at 01:15 AM.

The Junkyard Master Force Fed Mopar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PentastarTurbo
    for some reason i forsee problems with the hardcore neon setups on an L body

I tried to upload a tiny little crappy movie of my truck in action when i took this pic. said the file was invalid.. Movie file (mpeg) 119 KB (122,574 bytes)

ANy difference in caliper size and or rotor diametor vs lets say a minivan setup?
    That's great, we were just joking about the Omni doing an endo with Neon brakes on it while we were messing with it, and here you go posting this pic That's just crazy

Rotor diameter? Guess what? The 2nd Gen Neon rotor is IDENTICAL to the Omni's. We took some pics, Kev will probably post them tomorrow. The only thing that was very far off was the tie rod arm, the 2nd Gen is offset inwards(towards the rack) 3/4" more than the stock L-body's. However there is enough adjustment in the tie rod end to compensate, so realignment should be no problem.

Even the stock L-body caliper would bolt onto the 2nd Gen spindle, although I'm not sure how well it would work. We just checked to see if it bolted on. It's a little smaller in appearence, not sure about the size of the piston. We still to check that and a few other things.

The stock brake lines will bolt to the 2nd Gen caliper though, if you use the 2nd Gen bolt. The stock L-body brake line bolt is a little bigger thread, like the next size bigger. I think the 2nd Gen brake line will fit on the Omni too though, I need to snag one I guess this week. I didn't look close when I pull the spindle off but it looked like it bolted to the hard line the same way.

BTW, the SRT-4 brakes are different from the regular and SXT brakes. The spindle I got for us to use came off an SXT, and we looked through the wheel of Kevin's SRT at his brakes. Totally different rotors and caliper setup. Looks like they beefed it up for the extra abuse they knew SRT-4's would take I think they will probably bolt on just like this one did though, if you use the whole assy, knuckle, caliper, rotor, etc

Rob M.

Need members 4 wolf pack DodgeZ's Avatar

I'd rather be hated for who I am, rather than loved for who I am not.

Quote Originally Posted by 7055 View Post
    Why do people refer to torque steer like it is only a FWD thing? When a RWD gets squirrely trying accelerate in a straight line is that not considered torque steer?

You fellas are awesome but is there a chance of someone putting this on a website so it would be easier to understand/follow. Just think my GLHS might have a decent suspension under it soon.
    1987 Shelby GLHS #810
    1987 Shelby Lancer #519
    1982 Dodge Rampage
    1985 Dodge Ram
    2005 Dodge SRT/4

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallOne
    You fellas are awesome but is there a chance of someone putting this on a website so it would be easier to understand/follow. Just think my GLHS might have a decent suspension under it soon.
    Once we get a working combo and all the bug figured out I am going to fix this How To

Why do people refer to torque steer like it is only a FWD thing? When a RWD gets squirrely trying accelerate in a straight line is that not considered torque steer?

You guys are fucking unreal!!! Great job figuring out the fronts.....

But.....Has anything been figured out for the rears???
    Dominic Mongrain

1987 Dodge Omni "The Domni" It's on the road now biatch (Mmmm....Carburated)
    1989 Plymouth Horizon "The Baby Blue Beast" (R.I.P.)

"Mom, if you want this threeway to happen, you're gonna have to change your tone" - Glen Quagmire

Yeah, my kid's fat. That's ok, fat kids are harder to kidnap!

I told ya they were close LMAO. BUT they will slow the steering ratio, but only a tiny bit nothing to notice. Damn I wish it was an inch less to the ball joint making ratio faster. O well. There is a dimension you need. That is to install the Neon setup without axle and measure ball joint to trany. Then install the L body setup and get the same measurement. It may be far enough the axle spring may be compressed of lengthened too far. It looks longer and if so maybe a Shadow axle may bolt in, but I dout it. Next is the camber issue, setting it all on the floor adjusted all the way neg to see what you have Then if those 2 work it is off to the races, no issues! Looking good! 12" Willwoods in the future. I just bought a 89 CSX, need faster steering after driving the L body.

Rob Walsh

86 GLHS 76
    89 CSX 187
    84 DC Shelby Rampage
    86 goverment issue turbo Reliant wagon
    70 Challenger R/T SE
    72 Challenger Rally
    93 Cummins 4x4 club LE
    head porting
    http://pnw-sdac.org/gallery/view_alb...albumName=mods
    the cars
    http://pnw-sdac.org/gallery/view_alb...umName=album16

Quote Originally Posted by cooter
    But.....Has anything been figured out for the rears???
    The rear is pretty easy. Bolt on 11" vent rear disks and the adjustible Konis aren't that expensive.

on the front rotor the old 11s have better cooling fins and are lighter.

So are the axle splines the same as stock L body? Is there a length difference in the Neon axles vs the L body axles?

Quote Originally Posted by r00tcause
    So are the axle splines the same as stock L body? Is there a length difference in the Neon axles vs the L body axles?
    One of the pics shows the spindle sticking out farther, making the wheel width wider. It doesn't look like much but axle length is important. Too short will spit a tripod.

Rob

2 gen Neon Koni yellow sports cost $147 a piece at www.jegs.com

part # 610-8641-1474SP, So you see what is going through my head

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by The Pope
    One of the pics shows the spindle sticking out farther, making the wheel width wider. It doesn't look like much but axle length is important. Too short will spit a tripod.

Rob
    Mite make alighments a little hard if your stagered in the front..

Also I forsee possible rubbing issues if running something liek a daytona 6.5 wide crab wheel.. .....maybe....

Exclamation Woohoo!!!!!!!!!

Well with my mechanical dslyexia one I can't spell, two my IQ is 17 points above genius at 157 and my (&(*()&* head also swaps things back ward. Never has happened with mechanical things, normally I just see things what ever I'm doing. But NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I swapped which way is neg and which way is positive in my head. So I was stressing out big time I wasted my money on Daytona struts. well come to find out they adjust allot negitive and my head mess it up 'big laugh from the crowd'.

Now for whats really going on with my setup. I am using.....

Daytona front struts (konis) w/ Ground Control Omni coil overs. They are a Eibach 325 lb 7" universal coil spring. The upper mounts are new L body KYB units. The knuckles are the light weight 89 Shelby Daytona units with stock 11" front brakes. So basically I have a bolt on 11" front brake on the GLHS! The front uses half of a SRT joice bumber (cut in half). Then the upper mounts are allot different and I needed to add grade 8 washers on the strut for a upper spring mount stop and to mate to the upper L body strut mount. 7" spring is perfect as you lose almost 2" in spring travel (more than plenty left over).

The rear is the Ground Control coil over with 250 lb springs that are 9" long. Stock GLHS Konis. Then the rear 11" vented rear disks also are a bolt on.

well after I get kicking my own @$$ I will now be able to auto cross the car vs the slot setup me and Rick D had for so long. So a truely bolt on and adjustible 4 wheel vented disk brake setup for the L body, and it all works right.

Rob Walsh

86 GLHS 76
    89 CSX 187
    84 DC Shelby Rampage
    86 goverment issue turbo Reliant wagon
    70 Challenger R/T SE
    72 Challenger Rally
    93 Cummins 4x4 club LE
    head porting
    http://pnw-sdac.org/gallery/view_alb...albumName=mods
    the cars
    http://pnw-sdac.org/gallery/view_alb...umName=album16

Ah look what the junkyard man found me... SRT4 12 1/2" wilwood brake kit!!!!

Last edited by DodgeZ; 12-13-2005 at 10:51 PM.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread Information